If you love having long and beautiful nails, but you don't want to deal with the hassle and damage of acrylics or salons, then you might want to try soft gel nail extensions. They are the latest technology in the nail world for quick and perfect looking nail enhancements. In this blog post, we will tell you everything you need to know about soft gel nail extensions, from what they are, how are they different to acrylics, how they are applied, how long they last, and how to remove them safely.
What are soft gel nail extensions?
Soft gel nail extensions are pre-shaped nail tips that are made completely out of gel and cover the entire nail (a bit like press-ons but without the nail glue). They come in different sizes and shapes, such as stiletto, oval, almond, coffin, and square. You have heard them being called gel-x nails and they are perfect for DIY and saving $$$
Soft gel nail extensions are perfect for anyone who wants to add length and strength to their nails without damaging their natural nails. They are also great for people who have brittle, weak, thin nails that break easily or nail biters. Soft gel nail extensions can protect your nails from breaking and allow them to grow underneath.
The main difference between soft gel nail extensions and acrylics or SNS is that soft gel nail extensions do not require any powder or harsh chemicals to create the sculpted nail. They are also cured and hardened by a LED lamp, just like gel polish. They also have a more natural and flexible feel, and they can be easily removed by soaking them in acetone.
Acrylics, on the other hand, are made of a liquid monomer and a powder polymer that are mixed together and applied to the nail with a brush. They harden as they are exposed to the air, leaving fumes behind. This creates a strong and durable layer over the natural nail. Acrylics can last for several weeks, but they can also be harsh on your natural nails and cause them to become thin and brittle. They also require more maintenance and filing, resulting in more dust, and they can be difficult to remove without damaging your nails.
So, if you want to give your nails a boost of length and strength, but you also care about your nail health and comfort, you might want to try soft gel nail extensions. They are a great alternative to acrylics that offer a more gentle way to achieve beautiful nails. You have more time to choose your colours and designs. Soft gel nail extensions are the perfect choice for anyone who loves to have fun with their nails!
Top Tips to apply
- Prep is key: File, clean, and buff your nails with a 180 grit nail file as you would for any gel enhancement to prepare them for the extension. Make sure the nail is free of any dust or oils. You can do this by wiping your nails with alcohol.
- Size it well: Choose the right size and shape of the soft gel nail tip for each of your nails. Make sure the tip covers your nail sidewall to sidewall without needing to press too hard.
- Prime your tip: Etch your soft gel tip by applying a thin layer of gel primer to help the extension adhere better. Scrub it in until it becomes tacky.
- Rock it: Place the tip down on your nail starting from the cuticles and gently rock it down. The builder gel will move down nail and fill the gap between the tip and your nail. Make sure there are no bubbles and it cover your completely. If there are bubbles, you can just remove the tip and start again.
- No bubble rule: Keep the nail in place and straight while using a mini lamp to flash cure into place for 20 seconds. Using a Mitty 6W mini lamp allows you to keep hold of the tip while moving the lamp into place. If you see bubbles, redo this step
And voila! You have beautiful soft gel nail extensions that look natural and feel lightweight.
For step by step instruction and video tutorial, visit our blog on how to apply nail extensions
How long do soft gel nail extensions last?
One of the best things about soft gel nail extensions is that they last up to four weeks with proper care. They are very durable and can withstand everyday wear and tear. However, this also depends on your lifestyle and how fast your natural nails grow. If you have a very hands on lifestyle or have fast-growing nails, you might need to get them filled or replaced sooner.
Looking after your extensions:
- Avoid biting, picking, or peeling your nails. This can damage your natural nails and cause your extensions to lift or break.
- Wear gloves when doing household chores or handling chemicals. This can prevent your nails from getting stained or chipped. Certain chemicals can also weaken the bonds between the gel and your nail causing it to lift.
- Apply cuticle oil daily to moisturise your nails and prevent them from drying out.
- Use a non-acetone nail polish remover if you want to change the colour of your nails. Acetone can weaken the bond between your natural nails and the extensions.
Top tips to remove
Another advantage of soft gel nail extensions is that they are very easy to remove without damaging your natural nails. Unlike acrylics, which require filing or soaking in acetone for a long time, soft gel nail extensions can be removed in minutes with minimal filing
- File as much of the extension and products that you can without touching your natural nails. We recommend a 100/100 nail grit
- Use pure acetone and invest in a good removal kit to make it easier. We love Mitty Gel Removal Kit.
- If the nails are not ready to come off easily, don't force them. Resoak them instead.
They are a great option for anyone who wants to have long and beautiful nails without compromising their nail health. They are also easy to apply, maintain, and remove. If you are interested in trying them out, you can grab a kit right here or visit our salon.
Mitty Experts Tips:
To achieve a flawless look, you need to make sure the tip of the artificial nail matches your natural cuticle shape. If you notice any gaps or uneven edges, don't worry! You can easily fix them with a file. Just gently file the tip until it blends seamlessly with your own nail. You'll be amazed by the results!
Don't fret if the tip doesn’t sit flush with your cuticles. You can easily smooth it out with a hand file or sanding band until it blends into your natural nail. Then, apply a coat of base coat or builder gel and voila! You have a flawless nail extension.
Don't worry if you see some bubbles in the gel, you can easily fix that! Don’t cure it! Just slide the tip down the nail to remove the excess gel and collect it in the tip. Then, use a small liner brush to pop any bubbles that are left and reapply the tip in a rocking motion. You'll get flawless result in no time!